Lesson 4 – Process determines product
If you set up a process to be the same as the process that failed in the past, you can expect to fail again. As Edward Deming, world-renowned statistician and management expert, said,
- Sandy Seddon and Tom Nissen had a cozy relationship with one of the vendors, G2G, before putting out an RFP.
- They picked G2G.
Operating parameters –
decided after only two vendors had submitted proposals
- can’t have smoking,
- ok to have a subsidy of free rent
- can’t operate 24/7
- vendor can decide not to have gaming (who needs it if owners pay your rent?)
- coffee window is closed while restaurant open
- 100% catering is restricted to G2G in all three centers
Now, let’s make a deal.
Negotiating team is also a big surprise
Tom Nissen, Sandy Seddon and Forrest Quinn will now negotiate. Isn’t Tom going off the Board?
A special exemption from the Rex only-buddy-director- work group philosophy was made to keep Tom Nissen, who is leaving the Board in two days, on the team with a death grip on the controls.
No other owners are included on the negotiating team. Board candidate Gary Lee who has negotiated many (I think I heard him say 500) restaurant leases, was not deemed worthy of participating.
But, good news! Rex did say that he was considering accepting help from Jean Capillupo, whose expertise is solely derived from her hand in the last failed restaurant lease.
Being a control freak sometimes backfires, Rex
Polly Anna, signing off.